22.2.09

Studying abroad in paradise!

Palma de Mallorca, home of wealthy European tourists, tropical beaches, famous for yachting and sailing, and where I'll be spending 1/4 of my college career.  La Universidad de Islas Baleares was founded in 1978.   It was recently connected to the Metro train line that takes you to Palma's center. The island is accessible by commercial planes and ferry. They speak not only Spanish, but Catalán as well, so I better be trilingual by the end of the year. I will live with either a single mother or a widow, not in a college dorm room with other kids my age, and eat 1-2 of her questionable spanish meals daily.  The islanders' diet is mostly fresh fruits locally grown and fish that is locally caught.


Looks like San Tropez, right?


(Dora is representative of how fun it is to learn and love Spanish language and culture, although my Irish Catholic family has yet to understand why I am not studying in Ireland.)








Most people have heard of the soccer team Real Madrid, but Palma has its own stadium for their men's professional team, Real Mallorca.  I had hoped to join or set up a club golf team at the university, however I have just heard that this wealthy island only has private clubs and hotel courses ( hopefully I'll meet some nice locals that are members). But I found another possibility  through some connections with a Holy Cross professor, which would be interning at a jazz radio station to fulfill my cultural involvement requirement, que interesante!  

SO IF THIS WASN'T ENOUGH OF AN INVITATION TO COME VISIT ME NEXT YEAR, HERE IS ANOTHER HINT:
Dear blog follower, 
You have cordially been invited to join Annie at her homestay's house in Palma, Spain (or maybe hook yourself up with hotel reservations).
Pack a bathing suit, snorkel and maybe a few Euros so we can go out to the bars along the beach.
Regrets only.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to take that as directed towards me as I am one of your devoted followers. I will take that invitation most excitedly and reciprocate by inviting you to visit my future residence at Whitecastle (yes that is the name of where I might be staying). No clothing required.

    ReplyDelete